• Build and develop a strong public/private regional organization to lead the region’s economic
• Develop marketing plans that result in the generation of business leads for the GWP jurisdictions.
• Assist with the recruitment of prospects to the jurisdictions, especially those within its targeted sectors.
• Build strong relationships with entrepreneurs, site selection consultants, real estate brokers, developers, utility companies, educational assets, Virginia Economic Development Partnership, and regional partner organizations to market the Greater Williamsburg area.
• Organize and participate in marketing trips to prospective companies and site consultants.
• Perform research on prospective business clients and update community / website information.
• Respond to inquiries, ensuring timeliness, effectiveness and accuracy of information provided.
• Ensure impactful methods of communication are maintained for GWP and Launchpad such as:
- Website maintenance
- Social media posts
- Development of print publications
• Evaluate and pursue potential funding sources through program revenue, grants, sponsorships for the GWP.
• Develop and maintains a client database, prepare periodic reports, and maintain records of projects, progress, and the status ensuring continuous response and follow-up.
Skills and Abilities:
• Possess strategic planning and project management skills along with a solid understanding of factors affecting business location decisions including site development, workforce development, incentives, permits and regulations.
Ability to build strong relationships with city, county, state, military, education, industry and business leaders.
• Capability to work in a fast paced and competitive environment.
Proficiency to successfully develop and implement organizational strategic plans and manage financial budgets
• Possess solid leadership skills and the ability to organize, influence and work cooperatively with business, community and government leaders.
• Strong media relations and presentation skills
• Ability to establish and execute clear goals and effectively communicate the vision and mission of the GWP
Desired Experience, Training, and Education:
• Minimum of 6 to 10 years of experience in a management level position in the field of economic development, business development, and/or workforce development in public sector, higher education, and/ or non-profit environment. Certified Economic Developer preferred.
• Bachelor’s Degree from an accredited four-year college in a related area such as economics, planning, business or public administration; Master’s Degree and/or a graduate of the Economic Development Institute (EDI) preferred.
• Experience leading a board and working with volunteers.
• General understanding of legislative affairs
• Proficient in computer operations for general business purposes including PowerPoint Excel, and similar applications.
• The respective candidate should reside within the GWP boundary or a neighboring locality within six (6) months of acceptance of the position.
• Innovative • Self-starter • Entrepreneurially minded • Strong work ethic • Integrity • Creative • Executive Presence • Approachable • Deal maker and deal closer • Politically savvy • Inspirational •
Passionate • Collaborative • Ethical • Friendly • Trustworthy • Success-driven